Friday, November 30, 2012

Thanksgiving Post


Well, it’s sort of a Thanksgiving post.  I’m not going to go through all the things I’m thankful for because that list would be endless.  Instead I’ll just update on the goings on in the ol’ household. 

As always I’m impressed by Chloe’s strength.  Although she is currently lying on the couch with a stomach bug, I know she will fight this off like any other healthy kid would (in such sharp contrast to her first few years!)  I can’t say it enough, I am just amazed at how far she’s come!  UPDATE: she was up and off the couch in a matter of hours as if NOTHING had happened!!!!)

Chloe was recently “diagnosed” with dysarthria  of speech (basically low muscle tone of her speech mechanisms, including her tongue and face) and secondary apraxia of speech which is a motor planning problem.  Because of her need for intensive speech therapies, her school has increased her to full days.  It’s surprisingly hard to send my “baby” off to full days, particularly since she’s having a little tough time with the adjustment, but I think once she settles in, it will be the right choice.

The glasses continue to be a bit of a challenge, although she is wearing them for longer periods of time.  I still think I want to get her a different pair.  .  . just have to figure out how and when to get that accomplished.  In due time ;)

And then there’s Sadie.  Still having occasional hives.  Saw the doc and he sent us for blood work, which she was VERY BRAVE for, but we’re still waiting for the results.  Hopefully soon.  It’s been awhile, so obviously they’re all negative, because no news is good news when it comes to lab work.  Doc said we will likely never know what’s causing them and it could take months for them to go away, but they should. . . eventually.  UPDATE: all labs were normal J

As for Xander, his 11 viles of blood work basically came back all good except for one test for his thyroid, which MIGHT indicate that he has hypothyroidism.  Now another test came back normal, contradicting the other test, and indicating the need for further investigation (and yes, you got it, more blood work).  I’m again waiting to talk to the pedi before telling Xander the results.  I have my fingers and toes crossed that this is our answer and that a simple thyroid replacement hormone pill would help “fix” him.  It DOES really fit his symptoms, so I’m hoping there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. 

And as if things weren’t interesting enough, our poor poocher is itchy all over and just can’t seem to get relief.  We’ve been trying non-soap baths, and Zyrtec, but I just don’t think he’s getting enough relief.  I think it might be time to get his thyroid checked too (he’s overweight, always cold, lies around and isn’t as active as his breed typically is and he itches).  Can you imagine if he’s got an underactive thyroid too!!! LOL  We seem like a big mess, don’t we.

Stacey and I are hangin’ strong.  I’m going to get my thyroid checked soon too because I’ve had symptoms again.  Hoping that’s my quick easy answer.  Stacey, KNOCK ON WOOD, has been healthy!  And mom is doing well too – helping to keep us all held together!

so, in end, Thanksgiving is a time when we realized despite these little hiccups in our lives we truly have sooooo much to be thankful for!  And I truly mean sooooooo much!  We were a little sad without our old traditional large extended family thanksgiving dinner, but made the most of our “new normal” with just ourselves.  The kids helped cook and we just enjoyed a day of our family.  Sometimes it’s important to do that.  I hope you and yours had a nice holiday and find yourselves with some sort of peace.  As the craziness of the season takes over, let’s all not forget all those wonderful things we DO have to be thankful for!

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment